WET WILLIE 'Keep On Smilin' / 'Dixie Rock': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
* These are Wet Willie's third and fourth studio releases, originally on the Capricorn label. Unusual among Southern boogie bands of the 70's, Wet Willie included a strong R&B element in its music. * Quote From AMG: "Wet Willie was, after the Allman Brothers Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd, the hardest-rocking of the Southern bands to come to attention in the early 1970s. For seven years, from 1971 until 1978, they produced an enviable array of albums awash in good-time music, rollicking high-energy blues-rock, and white Southern soul, and for their trouble they racked up just one Top Ten hit 'Keep On Smilin' – and a lot of admirers". * 'Keep On Smilin' is the definitive Wet Willie studio album. Produced by Tom Dowd, who was responsible for producing / engineering some of the greatest records to come out of Atlantic Records as well as scores of rock albums, including Cream's 'Disraeli Gears' and Derek & The Dominos' 'Layla'. * 'Dixie Rock', the follow-up album, included the band's new backing group the Williettes, adding a gospel flavour to proceedings. Sublime slide work from Ricky Hirsch and Jimmy Hall's mournful harp help make this one of the band's most cohesive works.
CLIVE GREGSON & CHRISTINE COLLISTER 'The Best Of': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
* Stunning collection of songs spanning the entire career of Clive & Christine. All tracks have been fully remastered by Clive in Nashville and includes sleevenotes from Clive's manager John Martin plus previously unseen photos * Clive Gregson has recently had a high profile as guitarist with Nanci Griffith and writer of her radio hit 'I Love This Town'. His songs are even better known via subsequent covers: 'Home Is Where The Heart Is' (Fairport Convention), 'Touch And Go' (Kim Carnes) and others. * Christine Collister first came to national attention singing the 1987 theme for the BBC Television series 'The Life and Loves Of A She Devil'. Over the course of her career Christine has become a familiar name on the UK 'live' scene and at all major festivals from Glastonbury to Cambridge, and has worked with many distinguished folk artists including The Richard Thompson Band, Dave Kelly, and the female super group Daphne's Flight
TALLULAH RENDALL 'Libellus' [Release Date 01/06/2009]
"one of the top up and coming artists" – Evening Standard "demurring and demanding yet spellbinding and sultry" – Losing Today "Tallulah's got a wonderful voice" – Shirley Bassey "a moment of genuine beauty, as sublime as it sexy" – Music OMH 2008 saw Tallulah play international shows from acclaimed festival appearances at Glastonbury, Secret Garden Party and Latitude to Dame Shirley Bassey's 70th Birthday Party (as the only musical performer) and many more across the UK. With the complete sell out of her limited edition 'Without Time' E.P, a summer full of shows ahead and the incredible reaction to her singles 'Lay me Down' and 'Time Away', the full-length album hits the shelves on June 1st. 'Libellus', has been lovingly crafted with Executive Producer Marius De Vries at the helm. Much more than just a collection of songs, 'Libellus' – "a small book of poetry that comes to life" – was provoked by Iris Murdoch novel 'The Sea The Sea' and with such attention to detail on the record, it's easy to find yourself drawn into the world of each song. The album as a whole clearly demonstrates a culmination of Tallulah's life and musical experiences from muses such as Patti Smith & Jeff Buckley to her love of great writers like Pablo Neruda or Rimbaud. Each song on 'Libellus' is accompanied by it's own painting from artist Beshlie McKelvie and in contrast to the clinical one click download that most of today's new music is channelled through, this album is presented in a beautiful 50 page hardback book featuring stories, secrets, laudation and lyrics allowing the listener to truly immerse themselves in the journey of 'Libellus'. Tallulah weaves her enchanting vocals around these new songs with a rock'n'roll elegance not usually associated with today's female artists. A timeless sound from a crucial fresh talent, listen and enjoy…
HOT TUNA 'Relix Collection': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
* A 2 CD set featuring the very best of material recorded for Relix from the Jefferson Airplane's off shoot band that included Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Cassidy with Papa John Creach * Here we present tracks from 1971 recorded for KSAN Radio and from 1976 a set recorded for WQIV FM Radio and features favourites such as 'Candyman', 'Embryonic Journey' and The Dead's 'Keep On Truckin' * With Disc 2 we present live material recorded at the Fillmore West in 1971 and features 'Rock Me Baby' which was a live favourite of the Airplane for many years
NEW RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE 'The Very Best Of The Relix Years': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
* The NRPS were originally a spin-off band from the Grateful Dead and recorded a number of albums for CBS / Columbia, most of which have been reissued. * The material released by Relix has been unavailable for many years and we present the best of that on this 2CD set * We have added 6 tracks by the original line up of John Dawson, David Nelson, Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart and Phil Lesh recorded before the band signed to Columbia * Also featured are tracks from 'Live On Stage' recorded at The Beacon Theatre and The Keystone in 1975 which feature the line up that also included Spencer Dryden (Jefferson Airplane) Skip Battin (Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers) and Buddy Cage. * 'Keep On Keeping On' was a studio album with a new line up fronted by main man John 'Marmaduke' Dawson who is also still fronting the band today
NANA MOUSKOURI 'Alma Latina': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
Nana Mouskouri is one of the most successful recording artists in the world, and Greece's no.1 musical export! A household name in the UK throughout the 1970s with a succession of chart albums, her sales success continues unabated throughout mainland Europe. This fantastic package brings together five Latin albums in a box set. Each is in cardboard sleeve within the Box Set.
GIL SCOTT-HERON 'Bridges':
Gil Scott-Heron is justifiably recognised as one of the most unique black music artists of all time. His music transgresses all musical barriers in the same way that Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley and Marvin Gaye did. Along with his song writing partner, MD and co-producer Brian Jackson, he recorded some of the most memorable songs of the 1970's, songs which combined a message with powerful rhythms. 'Bridges', their 1977 album is one of their best, yet one that is often overlooked. 'Bridges' takes you on a journey it is both lyrically and musically on point throughout and is an album that you can revisit time and time again and be informed, inspired and uplifted by. On this album Brian Jackson plays synthesiser bass, one of the earliest uses of an instrument that was to reshape the sound of soul music in the Eighties. 'Racetrack In France' and 'Hello Sunday Hello Road' are joyful up tempo tracks reflecting experiences from life on the road. 'We Almost Lost Detroit' tells of a near accident at a nuclear power station that had the potential to wipe the motor city off the map. In 'Delta Man (Where I'm Coming From)' you can hear the deep emotion in Gil's voice as he reflects on his ancestry back to the Mississippi cotton fields.
GIL SCOTT-HERON 'Secrets'
Gil Scott-Heron is justifiably recognised as one of the most unique black music artists of all time. His music transgresses all musical barriers in the same way that Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley and Marvin Gaye did. Along with his song writing partner, MD and co-producer Brian Jackson, he recorded some of the most memorable songs of the 1970's, songs which combined a message with powerful rhythms. 'Secrets', their 1978 album continues the journey started in the 'Bridges' album of 1977 and is another of their best albums. 'Secrets' again features Brian Jackson on synthesiser bass which along with Harvey Mason's drums underpins the deep sound. As with all their albums the lyrics are poignant and informative of society in the 1970's. 'Angel Dust' warns of the dangers of drug abuse, 'Show Bizness' is an hilarious look at the perils of the music business ("they'll take care of everything for only 95%"), whilst 'Madison Avenue' talks of the over commercialisation of western society ("buying is all that's asked of you"). 'Better Days Ahead' and 'Prayer For Everybody' see Gil in a more optimistic light hoping for a better future, which are especially relevant today.
SPARROW AND THE WORKSHOP 'Sleight Of Hand': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
Sparrow and the Workshop are a Scottish/Welsh/American 3-piece from Glasgow, formed in the dew of January 2008, under the heavy fog of yeast from the Tennents Factory. They play a stripped-down drumkit, a crashbox, a very white bass, a smallish acoustic guitar, a mellow yellow electric slide guitar and occasionally an old french violin alongside boy/girl vocal duets.
ASHOK 'Plans': [Release Date 29/06/2009]
Reissue for this album, originally released in 2007. Ashok were fronted by the superb Florence, of Florence & the Machine fame, in fact she was the main songwriter in the group, this album features Happy Slap, an early version of 'Kiss with a Fist', the track that really broke the band recently. It's a great album that mixes a variety of styles to create a genuinely unique, upbeat pop sound. With Florence & the Machine winning the Critics' Choice award at this year's Brits & hotly tipped to be on of the biggest bands of the year, this insight into what was effectively an early version of the band, is bound to prove hugely popular among the thousands that will buy the Florence & the Machine album, which is a likely number one!
LED ZEPPELIN 'Complete Rock Case Studies': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
DVD/CD [+Books]: http://991.com/buy/productinformation.aspx?StockNumber=471434
DVD & book plus CD & book set. The DVD & book 'In Their Own Words', draws on film of the band performing live in Australia in 1972 as well as interviews with Plant, Page, Jones & Bonham to form the ultimate critical review of the band. The accompanying 72-page book analyses, track-by-track, every studio album the group have recorded to date. Featuring rare recordings of the band in concert plus live radio broadcasts & interviews with all four members, Led Zeppelin IV, Retrospectives, forms the ultimate review of this landmark album.
BOB MARLEY 'Redemption': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
2DVD/1CD [+Book]: http://991.com/buy/productinformation.aspx?StockNumber=471440
Two DVDs, one CD plus book box set. The DVD & book 'Up Close & Personal' investigates the man behind the myth and includes contributions from many close to Marley as well as classic performance footage. The CD features a digitally remastered version of the highly sought-after 1973 US 'Live To Air' broadcast & includes: 'Get Up, Stand Up', 'Burnin' & Lootin', 'Kinky Reggae', 'Slave Driver' and many more. The second DVD, 'Legend', is the ultimate retrospective of the work of this legendary musician.
MICHELLE SHOCKED 'Soul Of My Soul': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
Two intense emotions [love and anger] dovetail on Michelle Shocked's 'Soul of My Soul', a passionate album in every sense. "I think the meditation these past several years, ever since I stopped drinking, really, has been to jettison rage," says Shocked, "without losing the ability to feel strong feelings". Two 'strong currents' in her present life conspired to teach her that lesson. Artist David Willardson, "the Official Love of My Life," is one such tide. On the flipside is her "nemesis," the Bush Administration "and their alleged enlightened self-interest. Between the two of them, my emotions have run quite high in recent years."
MAX BYGRAVES 'I Wanna Sing You My Hits': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
A comedian and singer, an actor, song writer, impersonator and story teller, the ever versatile Max Bygraves was a true 'Rags to Riches' success. Famous for his catchphrases some of which were turned into songs: 'Big 'ead', 'A Good Idea – Son' are both featured here and still sound great today. His hits throughout the '50s are all included 'Heart Of My Heart', 'Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer', 'Mister Sandman', 'Meet Me On The Corner', 'Davy Crockett' and 'Out Of Town'. Cheerful, easy on the ear and with the invitation to sing along this is a wonderful overview of one of our nations greatest performers
THE MEN THEY COULDN'T HANG 'Devil On The Wind': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
TMTCH return with their first album in 6 years on the eve of their 25th anniversary. 'Devil on the Wind' combines a legendary live ferocity with a still undiminished lyricism to create an essential rock folk hybrid for volatile modern times Long considered one of the finest live experiences thrown up by the British music scene, TMTCH have harnessed their passionate live power to create kaliedoscopic, fully realised album of folk, rock and country influences. Ably steered by producer Pat Collier, the material ranges from International panor amas to intimate personal vignettes, all played with a seasoned sureness that still erupts into adrenalin pumped ferocity… With this finely realised album, TMTCH are in grave danger of no longer being 'the best kept secret of British rock…'
LONG RYDERS 'Live 2004: State Of Our Reunion': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
They were the number one Indie / Alternative band in the USA in the mid-1980s and if it wasn't for The Smiths they would've held that crown in the UK as well. The Long Ryders are now seen as a primary ingredient in what is now alt-country or Americana and Sid Griffin & Co. are equally seen as THE link in the chain connecting Gram Parsons then and the Kings Of Leon now. NME cover boys, TV appearances in country after country and with a tour schedule which helped them hone the hottest live show to ever feature a 12-string Rickenbacker, glorious songs and punk energy, they had it all. For their first shows in seventeen years the Long Ryders proved they still had it as they tore the roof off London's fabled Dingwalls venue on the hottest night of 2004. Featuring a smokin' solid hour of that London show and with the extra attraction of five songs filmed back in their 1985/1986 heyday, this is the first authorised Long Ryders DVD and the best you will, or can, ever see them.
IAN GILLAN BAND 'Anthology': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
Ian Gillan Band was formed in 1976 and many of the audio tracks on this CD were recorded in Wales at the now famous Rockfield studios during late 76 and early 1977. This was followed up with a 19 date UK tour promoting the 'Clear Air Turbulence' album. The tour included a show at The Rainbow Theatre, London where the DVD footage was recorded on 14th May 1977. IGB touring was a wild affair but come show time the band were a tight professional outfit performing their own unique brand of rock music.
AFTER THE FIRE 'Radio Sessions 1979 – 1981': [Release Date 01/06/2009]
Throughout the 70's and 80's, radio sessions played a big part in any bands success in the UK. For After The Fire, this was no different: the opportunity to play live in an intimate and professional setting gave the band and fans the best of both live performances and LP sound. As founder member Peter Banks says "These radio sessions were very important because they gave you status and helped with the awareness of the band as one could deliver a quality live performance" ATF are a rock / pop band whose roots are in the prog rock of the early 70's. The 20 tracks featured on this CD were recorded at three different radio sessions between 1979 and 1981, a time when ATF were at their commercial peak.
GUN 'Swagger': [Release Date 22/06/2009]
* Reissue of the 1994 album * Album augmented by eight cover versions of rock classics by Police, Lenny Kravitz, Rage Against the Machine, etc, secreted on three limited edition CD singles and long unavailable * Features three Top 30 singles in 'Don't Say It's Over', 'The Only One' and the Top 5 cover of Cameos 'Word Up'! * Extensive sleeve note by rock scribe Michael Heatley with exclusive quotes from original singer Mark Rankin * Regarded as one of Scotlands best hard-rock bands of the past 20 years. Swagger, released in 1994, reached Number 5 and was their most successful album.
FANNY 'Rock And Roll Survivors': [Release Date 22/06/2009]
* This is the first time that the album has been available on CD * The album features all the album tracks from the original "Rock And Roll Survivors" album * This CD reissue features the original artwork, and the CD booklet includes sleeve notes and a full discography * It can't be underestimated how important the band are in rock music history. They're reputation was as musicians first and women second. Their ability, creativity and the level of success they achieved in this field was unprecedented * This album was made without two of the original members, June Millington and Alice de Buhr, who'd moved on and they were replaced by Brie Howard and Suzi Quatro's sister Patti The first reissue of this classic 1974 album by the pioneers of of female rock, often quoted as the original "godmothers of chick rock". The album was originally released in 1974 on Casablanca Records. This was to be the band's final album.
BULLDOG BREED 'Made In England': [Release Date 22/06/2009]
* Taken from the original master tapes * Features new band quotes, rare photos and, for the first time, the full lowdown on Bulldog Breeds convoluted story * Also includes both sides of the groups equally essential pre-album single, 'Portcullis Gate' b/w 'Halo In My Hair' * Long established as one of the minor classics of the British psychedelic pop genre * This is the definitive reissue of a much-loved, highly collectable psychedelic pop album Long established as one of the minor classics of the British psychedelic pop genre, the Bulldog Breed album 'Made In England' was recorded in mid-1969 but not released by Deram Nova until the beginning of the following year – by which time its thrilling Spirit-of-67 mod/psych sound and commitment to hook-laden, sub-three minute songs was fatally out of sync with the self-indulgence and bombast of the nascent progressive rock era.
TINKERBELLS FAIRYDUST 'Tinkerbells Fairydust': [Release Date 22/06/2009]
* Arguably the most valuable UK album in record collecting history, with copies known to have sold for £2,000! * The LP was manufactured by Decca in 1969 but never issued * This is the first-ever official CD of their recordings * Adds numerous bonus tracks from singles and also from pre-Tinkerbells acts The Rush and Tommy Bishops Ricochets * Sleeve-notes finally tells their story. * 'Twenty Ten (as in the year 2010) was a huge hit at the time in Japan and is likely to enjoy a renewed profile next year
CHEAP TRICK 'Every Trick In The Book': [Release Date 29/06/2009]
Combining hard edged metal with melodic pop, Cheap Trick have created an almost unique slot for themselves in music during a career that now spans over thirty-five years and certainly so in Japan where they remain a revered band of almost Beatle-esque stature. This selection contains all of their major hits and songs from the definitive period 1974 – 1990 and has never before been released on DVD.
SAGITTARIUS 'Present Tense': [Release Date 29/06/2009]
Revola proudly presents one of the major artyfacts of the 1960s… an album with possibly the most beautiful soundscapes ever committed to tape, the sound of universal love! Virtually a collaboration between Gary Usher and Curt Boettcher, both in their own right near-geniuses of pop-psych the album also features a plethora of stars and strange bedfellows, from The Firesign Theatre to The Millennium, from Glen Campbell to The Wrecking Crew, from Beach Boy Bruce Johnston to future Bread man Jimmy Griffin, yep, they are all here…as well as an extensively remastered version of the original 1968 relase, the CD features a whole raft of single mixes (so radically different), out-takes and demos, pretty much doubling the length of your immersion in this wonderful experience… Anyone who does not love or indeed fall in love to this album must have a shrunken heart!
PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS 'Hungry For Kicks: Singles & Choice Cuts 1965-69': [Release Date 29/06/2009]
* Includes classics such as 'Him Or Me Whats It Gonna Be', 'Steppin Out', 'Kicks' and of course the original version of 'Steppin Stone' which is rated as by far the best by many rock fans * All tracks have been re-mastered and they have never sounded so good! So crank up the volume and wig out! Legendary American rock / beat combo that hardly need any introduction here! Suffice to say that after being the first rock band to sign to Columbia Records (CBS), they generated an incredibly impressive run of 25 hit singles in the American charts! John Peel was a big fan too and Rev-Ola are now delighted to present what is probably the definitive introduction to this revered (pun intended!) band!
NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK 'Hangin' Tough – Live': [Release Date 29/06/2009]
New Kids On The Block were one of the most successful boy bands of the late 80's and early 90's – selling 80 million albums worldwide. This live concert, filmed at the Los Angeles Mayan Theatre in 1989, is essentially the live version of their number one album 'Hangin' Tough', and was filmed at the peak of a career when the band had two hundred thousand fan club members alone, and their hotline received one hundred thousand calls per week.
THE MOJOS 'Everythings Alright – The Complete Recordings': [Release Date 29/06/2009]
Best known on record for their own song 'Everythings Alright', in part through their own recording being regarded as one of the classic Mersey Sound tracks ever, as well as it making the top 10, and later through David Bowie covering it on 'Pin Ups'. Two other tracks also made the charts, 'Why Not Tonight' and 'Seven Daffodils', from a collection of seven singles and one EP recorded for Decca. This 'Complete Recordings' collection is bookended by their very first recording and their last. The first made as The Nomads was included on the Oriole LP 'This Is Merseybeat' in 1963, and the last was the previously un-reissued Liberty single as Stu James & The Mojos in 1967.
LIVERPOOL SCENE 'The Amazing Adventures Of…': [Release Date 29/06/2009]
* The Liverpool Scene were fronted by gifted artist and poet Adrian Henri * Also in the band were folk artist Mike Hart, accomplished singer-songwriter Andy Roberts award-winning jazz bassist Percy Jones (later in Brand X) and Mike Evans * This 2-CD set draws on three rare albums and a posthumous compilation for RCA, issued between 1968 and 1970 * None of the Liverpool Scenes music is currently available on CD * Essential for any fan of the Bonzos, the Scaffold or even Frank Zappa/Mothers Of Invention * Includes several previously unissued TV recordings
LITTLE RIVER BAND 'Live Exposure: Live In Texas': [Release Date 29/06/2009]
An immediate supergroup in their native Australia – Little River Band went on to enjoy success worldwide. Glenn Shorrock, Beeb Birtles and Graham Goble were all well-known, chart hitting musicians in Australia in their own right before coming together in the mid-1970's to form Little River Band. Their country-rock sound, reminiscent of The Eagles, was geared toward American success and they enjoyed the fruits of this with their third album, 'Diamantina Cocktail', which included the hit single 'Help Is On Its Way' – and the follow up album 'Sleeper Catcher' became the first recorded in Australia to hit the number one spot in the US chart. 'Live Exposure' features a concert the band played in Houston, Texas in October 1981 – and features US hit singles 'It's A Long Way There', 'Help Is On Its Way', 'Happy Anniversary' and 'Reminiscing'.
KORN 'Who Then Now?': [Release Date 29/06/2009]
For the first time on DVD, this is everything you could want for a Korn fan. Korn's alternative metal sound positioned the group among the most popular to emerge during the post-grunge era in the mid-1990's. Besides the videos [which include a completely uncut video of 'Faget'], there is a fantastic amount of informal and interesting footage, including the band playing basketball, early gigs, getting fairly inebriated, and stories about how the band originally got together. Rated explicit to cover some direct vernacular. An absolute classic!