REVEALED: CHART-TOPPING ARTISTS JUSTIN BIEBER AND THE WEEKND ROCK THE GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS 2017 EDITION
David Bowie, Ringo Starr, Gordon Ramsay, Dame Judi Dench also honoured
London, UK – 30 August 2016 – Arriving in shops on 8 September, the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS 2017 Edition features a brand new selection of record-breaking achievements from the world’s biggest celebrities and pop culture icons, spanning music, TV, film, and more. Today, Guinness World Records can reveal just some of those who have made the cut:
Hot from record-breaking year thanks to the success of his fourth studio album, “Purpose,” Justin Bieber sang his way into the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS 2017 Editionwith an impressive set of six record titles including:
• Most streamed track on Spotify in one week for “What Do You Mean?”
• Most streamed album on Spotify in one week for “Purpose”
• First act to occupy all top three positions simultaneously on UK singles chart with his singles “Love Yourself” (No.1), “Sorry” (No.2) and “What Do You Mean?” (No.3)
• Most followers on twitter (male) – 85,235,563 followers
• Most viewed music channel on YouTube (individual) with 10,478,651,389 views on JustinBieberVEVO
• Most subscribers on YouTube for a musician (male) with 20,711,202 subscribers on JustinBieberVEVO
• Most simultaneous tracks on the US singles chart: As dated December 2015, a number of the Canadian pop star’s songs were scattered amongst the ranks on the Billboard Hot 100. Totaling an impressive 17 tracks, the list had well-known titles such as “Sorry”, “Love Yourself”, “Company” and ”Mark My Words”.
• Most simultaneous new entries in the Hot 100 by a solo artist: The black-and-white cover of Purpose became a familiar sight on the lists of Billboard with 13 songs on the Hot 100 dated December 5, 2015.
GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS presented Justin with certificates celebrating his record-breaking achievements before one of his sold-out shows on the Purpose World Tour at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
Joining Justin Bieber, global singing sensation, The Weeknd (b. Abel Tesfaye) set two tremendous record titles for:
• Most streamed album on Spotify in one year, current (unique listeners). Between December 1, 2014 and December 1, 2015, Beauty Behind the Madness amassed an incredible 60 million listeners on the streaming service. One of the lead tracks on the album – “Can’t Feel My Face” – had 448,334,867 streams alone by January 13, 2016. The album was the number one album on the Billboard 200 and reached the top 10 in over ten countries.
• Most consecutive weeks in the Top 10 of Billboard’s Hot 100 by a solo male artist.Known for his masterful reconciliation of R&B, pop and rock, he spent 45 consecutive weeks inside the Top 10 between March 7, 2015 and January 9, 2016 with his singles “Earned It,” “Can’t Feel My Face,” and “The Hills”.
The late, great David Bowie appears in the Guinness World Records book for the first time in ten years, as 19 of his albums hit the UK Top 100, ten of which in the UK Top 40, earning him a post-humus record for the Most simultaneous entries on the UK album charts.
Also new this year in the world of music is Beatles’ legend Ringo Starr for the record Most expensive vinyl record sold at auction. A mono copy of the Beatles White Album sold by Ringo fetched $790,000 (£522,438) at Julien’s Auction house in Los Angeles, California, USA on 5th December 2015. The first pressing of the 1968 chart-topped, number 0000001, was stored by Ringo in a vault for 35 years and was auctioned in near mint condition.
Also appearing in the new edition with his Guinness World Records certificates is another global pop phenomenon Sam Smith, who following a 69 week run the UK album charts ending on September 2015, and holds the hugely impressive record for Most successive weeks in the UK Top 10 for a debut album. Smith also claims the record for the First James Bond theme to reach No.1 in the UK charts, with Spectre theme “Writing’s On The Wall” in 2015.
Joining the ranks of music elite in the 2017 Edition are powerhouse players from the big and small screens. Earning an estimated $60m between June 2014 – June 2015, British chef and TV personality Gordon Ramsay takes a tasty top spot with the Highest annual earnings for a TV chef. Ramsay is best known for his culinary TV shows, such as Hell’s Kitchen, Masterchef USA and Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares.
Game of Thrones, whose eighth season will be its last, continued their reign in the Most pirated TV show category with 14,400,000 illegal downloads per episode, while also receiving the title for Most Emmy awards won by a TV series in one season with a massive 12, for season five.
In film, the latest installment in the Star Wars franchise, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, earned titles for the Fastest movie to gross $500 million at the US box office, Largest box-office weekend with $247.9 million generated, and Most views on YouTube, movie trailer (official) with 91,512,152 views.
National treasure Dame Judi Dench appears the book’s Shakespeare spread, celebrated for holding the record for the Most Olivier Awards won by an individual. Her latest and eighth win was for her in Shakespeare’s “The Winter Tale”.
The GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS 2017 Edition is available on 8 September 2016 priced at £20 (Discounts available). The GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS Gamer’s Edition 2017 will also be available on 8 September 2016 for £10.
Find rare records, CDs & music memorabilia by these and thousands more artists at 991.com